35 replies to this topic

#1 IrisGreen

IrisGreen

Me and my Mom

• Senior Members
  • 2,118 posts
  • So Cal

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

So, I have been working to get my tack room furnished and organized. I only have one horse, how can I have so much stuff for only ONE horse! :huh: Some of you know I got a new tack room/shed. It's 12 x 14 but it has a 4 foot patio on the front so it's technically 12x10 on the inside. I figured that was plenty of room.....untill I started carting all Muffins stuff out of the garage and laying it in a pile on the floor of the new tack room!

So, now I have a nice tack room but not hooks, hangers or even a nail in the wall to store stuff. I've been working on putting up a shelf, hooks, bridle hangers and repainting an old kitchen cabinet we had in the garage to use as a counter top. I will get pictures of the inside to show what I've done with the room so far. I installed a solar light for use at night (no electric hook up out there).

I would like to know how you like your tack room, do you buy the fancy bridle hooks or just put a nail in the wall, is it organized or do you have your own version of organized ciaos:D. How do you store stuff, make good use of your space. How picky are you about how organized your tack room is or how clean? What would you like to do with your tack room to improve it? Pictures please! :D Show off your tack rooms and the organizers you have found to make storing or hanging tack work for you.

#2 miatapony

miatapony

Banned

• Banned
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

i dont know what it is called but the wood with the holes in it is great because you can put up hooks and all kinds of things then move them around with out putting holes in the walls ..

#3 Vegashorselady

Vegashorselady

Horse Addict

• Senior Members
  • 2,699 posts
  • Southern Nevada

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

I think you're talking about a peg boards miata, those are cool. My shed is metal so I can't put nails in my wall. I use the hanging tack hooks for my bridles. I also have one of those plastic storage things with the drawers from wal-mart. It's awsome for the little stuff like scissors, pocket knifes, whole punchers, gloves and emergency kit stuff...plus, it's on wheels so I can move it around if I want. I'd take pictures but I also have 8 bales of hay stuffed in my shed right now so it's not pretty.:doh:

#4 Kowgirlkate

Kowgirlkate

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • 2 clouds short of heaven

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

I wish I knew how to post pics. My tack room is a section of my horse barn. It is fenced off but open to everything, so i had to get creative to keep things clean and locked up.
Nails are not reccomended for hanging bridles or leather halters, thier smallness causes leather to crease or crack. I built my own bridle/halter hangers for about $10. You need a board, whatever length you wish, and a landscaping timber. The lumberyard cut my timber in 4" sections for free, not sure if yours would but I bet it'd be cheap. Then I just screwed each 4" peice to the board and that was it. I varnished it to keep it looking nice but it was very simple and cheap to make. I store bridles in pillowcases to keep the dust off as they hang.
As for saddles, I keep those in 2 closets- a big rubbermaid yard closet that we rigged saddleracks inside (totally mice-proof!) for the western saddles and the english saddles live inside an old wardrobe that I built wood racks inside for, It could hold 8 saddles if I had them. Blankets/pads I keep in a rubbermaid tote to stay clean and everything else lives in a upright showbox that I filled with hooks to hang stuff, and the med stuff has a box on the floor of it.
You are gonna have so much fun arranging your new tackroom!

#5 IrisGreen

IrisGreen

Me and my Mom

• Senior Members
  • 2,118 posts
  • So Cal

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

The peg board is a good idea, Miata! :)

Vagas, I like the plastic storage boxes. I have been meaning to get some but always forget when I goto WalMart. The ones with wheels is a great idea, I have some of the boxes but there just big rubber-made boxes, no drawers. I would like to get the rolling one with drawers for medical supply's and things, like what you use it for.

KowGirl, Yeah, I agree nails shouldn't be used to hang bridles but I know plenty of people that use them and don't want to spend the money or make a better bridle hook. They also don't really keep there tack nice and oiled either so it just shows there lack of care for there equipment, no wonder it cracks and brakes as the worst time.

With how big and heavy duty Muffins bridles are, I have to make sure there on a bridle hook that supports them or they would fold in half. I spend too much on his tack to just hang it on a nail, that's for sure. It's hard finding leather western draft tack, most of the time I have it custom made to fit him. When we had the auctions in town you could buy horse sized bridles all day long for $10 so people didn't really take care of them. I've only met a few horse people that really took pride in there quality of tack and keeping it nice. Some make me look like a slob! lol

Do you have a digital camera? I would love to see the bridle hanger you made. If you need help loading pictures check out the help section. It's easy to post pictures once you know the secrets;).

I like your idea of all the tack boxes, trunks and wardrobes. I'm sure that helps keep the dust off things and being that your tack room is open you would need to keep your tack protected more then if you had a closed in room.

My trainer had a good idea for a bridle hanger. He has so many bridles and halters in so many sizes he uses one of those over the door shoe hangers. It's metal and has all these wire loops that stick out off it, normally you would slide a shoe on them but there the perfect shape to support bridles. He has a big one that's almost as wide as the door, when he opens the tack room door you swear it's a tack store! lol

I will get pictures of my tack room today. I also need to look into roof vents, it gets so hot and stuffy in there, I have to keep the windows open. But that lets in all the dirt and dust, the floor is still ply wood and covered in dust/dirt. I'm thinking of getting a big rug to put in there or just find a left over piece of carpet or something.

#6 WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay

Baaaah!

• Moderators
  • 33,419 posts
  • Rochester, WA

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

My winter tack room is saddle rack with hooks for the bridles in a corner of the living room.

My summer tack room is my horse trailer. :)

I remember when your nifty tack room got delivered, Iris... would be neat to see pictures of it now. :)

#7 IrisGreen

IrisGreen

Me and my Mom

• Senior Members
  • 2,118 posts
  • So Cal

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

WB,

I had the tack room in my trailer all loaded with Muffins stuff, I almost decided to sell the real tack room I just got because the trailer holds most of his stuff. I'm glad I decided to keep the tack room because my neighbor borrows my trailer alot. She accidentally dented the front of the trailer, knocked it off the hitch when she bottomed out coming out of a parking lot with a steep entrance/exit to the street. It bottomed out the trailer jack into the cement, forces the trailer up and knocked the hitch off the ball, the trailer went rolling forward into the back of the truck. Luckily it was just the trailer that got damaged. I had to clean out all the tack out of the trailer so it could be taken to the shop and fixed. We also had a new jack put on, a sing up kind so there's no chance of it catching the ground like the original jack did. I didn't like how that original jack stuck out the bottom so much anyways when it was fully raised it was still too low and wanted to bottom out when coming out of a driveway. We got that problem fixed and it shouldn't do it again. The trailer was empty when it happened so no horses were hurt.

I'm glad I kept the real tack room and now that all the tack from the trailer is in there...I'm trying to get hooks and stuff up to store it properly. I thought I would have fun "designing" my own tack room but it's not so easy starting off with nothing and having to try and fit everything, buy all the hangers, bars and hooks. That stuff can get expensive when you need it all at once! lol Plus, I can't make up my mind where I want stuff to go! haha I just got everything up off the floor this weekend and it's starting to look like a tack room inside instead of a bare room with a pile of tack on the floor. lol

#8 TheRedHayflinger

TheRedHayflinger

Pony Slobber Rag

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • ohio

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

I just keep everything in the garage and our basement myself...

but my tack room at the boy scout camp my last year looked like an outhouse..haha(the years prior to that were tack room tents...with the exception of my first year and we were allowed to use the camp rangers little barn)

my "outhouse" tackroom at the BSA camp
Posted Image
our camp ranger made the structure with all scrap lumber(he was a whiz at using "junk" to create useful things...) I used scrap lumber and eyehooks and eyescrews to make saddle racks (the little plaque was for winning Area Of The Week...we garnered 4 of them for the entire summer--out of 7 camp weeks!)

the worst ones we had there was my 2nd year:
Posted Image
Posted Image
and after a huge wind storm ripped the circus tent(as we dubbed it) to shreds
Posted Image

my 3rd year there
Posted Image

my first year there, after we cleaned out that nasty barn (it was horrible and took us most of our staff week to clean it up). We used the scrap lumber(4x4 pieces work best) and the eyehooks/eyescrews to make the saddle racks.
Posted Image

I want to put a tackroom in my barn...but I'm afraid of getting another flood and it ruining my tack again(it took a while to get all my stuff I could find clean after the first surprise flood)
but if I make one in my barn...it'll go under my stairs
Posted Image

#9 IrisGreen

IrisGreen

Me and my Mom

• Senior Members
  • 2,118 posts
  • So Cal

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

That outhouse is cute!!!:) I'm sure it's way better then the tents you had to deal with in the past. That's neat he just made it out of scrap materials! What a handy man and it turned out cute to boot! lol

How high did your barn flood? Could you mount stuff on the walls and it wouldn't get soaked if it flooded again? I'm sure that was terrible having your barn flood..I couldn't imagine having that happen and all the clean up and tack getting destroyed. I sure hope that doesn't happen again but I can understand not wanting to put your tack down there again.

#10 TheRedHayflinger

TheRedHayflinger

Pony Slobber Rag

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • ohio

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

I actually have a waterline picture of how high the flood got. It was a flash flood and my pony and my gelding had to tread water for about 3 hours. My aunts boyfriend stopped at our house at 11 or so at night because he couldn't cross the bridge. My mom and him went to let the dogs out of the kennels and grab my emergency halters/leads in the garage...they are 10-15 yards from the back door...water was at their ankles when they did that and coming back a minute later they said it was waist high. By the time they go to the front of the house, it was higher and they couldn't get to the barn.
Posted Image
it was enough to take down my fence too (the posts were sunk into the ground 5 feet when my uncle built the fence)
Posted Image

of course I was at work when this happened(i work overnights) and the next morning my boss called to make sure the house I worked at didn't get flooded....I had NO idea there was flooding! I just knew we had a somewhat heavy storm around 11-midnight. So...then I call my mom, panicking at 5am and make her go out to make sure Gypsy and Riot were still alive...she whistled for about 5 minutes before they started calling out and I could tell over the phone that both of them were calling out. Not a scratch on either one of them either. Just two wore out mudballs.

#11 IrisGreen

IrisGreen

Me and my Mom

• Senior Members
  • 2,118 posts
  • So Cal

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

WoW!!! That was a serious flash flood! That's so scary to find out that you didn't even know your poor horses were swimming while you were at work. I'm sure you where mortified to come home and see all the damage but I'm glad they were all ok. That water line is pretty high, I can understand not wanting to put anything down stairs. I would built some big shelves up high on the walls for storage (though it would be a pain to always use a step ladder to get stuff down) and use water proof boxes. You could build a pulley system with saddle racks and bridle storage that could be pulled up when not in use, kinda like the ones that you buy for storing bicycles in the garage that pull them up to hang from the ceiling? You could make it a rack that stores your saddles on top and hangs your bridles and halters from the bottom?

#12 star197

star197

Livin' my dream!

• Senior Members
  • 807 posts
  • Southern California

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hi IG, well here's a pic of our tack shed...the start of it at least! This is my husband's project while he is on vacation. It will be 12x15 with part of it for hay storage. I'll post more pictures as it progresses.

Also in the picture is the hitching post and tie rail. We ended up putting one of each in.

Posted Image

#13 IrisGreen

IrisGreen

Me and my Mom

• Senior Members
  • 2,118 posts
  • So Cal

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

Looking good so far! :) I like that hitching rail, what did you make it out of? I'm looking into making a wash rack and I'm getting quotes on galv. pipe for the sides, there wanting around $125 for one hitching rail!

#14 star197

star197

Livin' my dream!

• Senior Members
  • 807 posts
  • Southern California

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

IG, the post and rail are 4.5" galvanized steel piping. I don't know if the guy painted over it or not but it sure is bright! I'm hoping they tone down a bit once they get a layer of dirt :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Kowgirlkate

Kowgirlkate

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • 2 clouds short of heaven

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

Iris, I loaded a pic of the bridle rack into my blog http://akowgirlsthoughts.blogspot.com/ . It's not the greatest pic but gives you an idea

#16 IrisGreen

IrisGreen

Me and my Mom

• Senior Members
  • 2,118 posts
  • So Cal

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

WoW, that's a nice hitching rail! 4.5 diameter? Really? There quoting me $125 for a 66 inch long 2 3/8 diameter galv. hitching rail (instalation not included). Do you mind me asking what you paid for yours? Or you can PM me if you want. I just talked to my neighbor and he's going to make me the hitching rails I need to make my wash stall, bolt them to my side patio and everything. We are trading out work, my Brother in law owes me and he's a magician so he's going to work there kids party for free. :)

Kowgirl,
Ohh, I get it now.:) You made it out of those "oval" shaped wood boards so there rounded to hang the bridles on. That's a great idea! I bet you could get a bunch out of just one piece of board. That's a great idea, easy to make and customize by staining or painting the way you like...I like it!:)

#17 Dakota Sunrise

Dakota Sunrise

Halfling

• Donors
  • 9,001 posts
  • The Shire

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

Maybe I shouldn't post pics of my tack room... most of my stuff hangs on nails.

But whatever, I'll post pics anyway because I like my tackroom, even if it's just organized chaos and kind of crappy looking.:rolleyes: It's the best I've got and it works for me. :) Sorry in advance for so many pics! ;) :innocent:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have 3 cool horsey hooks like this one, but the rest is on nails.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The stuff that can't be hung up sits on these two shelves. Mostly the stuff on the top shelf are the things that I don't use as often (except the Corona, that warrants a place on the lower shelf, lol.) Saddle soap, Beauty's easyboots that she only needs for long trail rides, the leather hole punch, extra Cowboy Magic that I haven't opened yet, and the helmet I never wear, etc. Although now that I'm looking at it I see that there is stuff on the bottom shelf that needs to be moved to the top because I rarely use it... I'm not very organized, lol.
Posted Image

Flymasks and extra halters and cinches hang on the wall..
Posted Image

My winter blankets and extra saddle pad is stored in the old, beat up tack trunk somebody gave me:
Posted Image

And Buck lives in the tack room too.:p
Posted Image
His cage looks kind of crappy in this picture, so here's another one to show that he actually has a very nice little pen.:)

Posted Image

He also has a stuffed rabbit now that he loves. But I hadn't bought it for him yet when that picture was taken. Now he has Softie and Bunny, his homies.:D He's actually a very happy bunny.:p
http://www.baywindfa...pictureid=12813

Edited by Dakota Sunrise, 03 August 2009 - 08:20 PM.

Galadriel: Why the halfling?

Gandalf: Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? I don't know. Perhaps because I am afraid, and he gives me courage.

-The Hobbit

#18 Vegashorselady

Vegashorselady

Horse Addict

• Senior Members
  • 2,699 posts
  • Southern Nevada

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

I store bridles in pillowcases to keep the dust off as they hang.

I love this idea...I'm thinking sew a zipper to bottom of old case and voila! cheap bridle bag! Thanks for the tip.:)

#19 IrisGreen

IrisGreen

Me and my Mom

• Senior Members
  • 2,118 posts
  • So Cal

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

I like your tack room Dakota. I think it's pretty organized actually. I like the wood walls, there pretty. Nails are fine for hanging other stuff besides bridles and you have those on your horsey hooks anyways :) That's neat you have a bunny in your tack room, I couldn't put one in mine..it gets way to hot in there for anything to live very long during the summer.

You have the same self brackets I used for my shelf, the closet bar holder brackets. :) They work great and come with a built in hook and there cheap at walmart. lol My neighbors used them to hang potted plants on there patio too. lol

I'm uploading pictures I took today..lets see if I can get them all loaded tonight..

#20 lovesfortune

lovesfortune

I ♥ my Appy's

• Members
  • 4,889 posts
  • Northwest Wisconsin

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

my tack room in the winter is our laundry room.... and so far this summer it's STILL in the laundry room. lol. we haven't done much riding and most of them were bareback...

we just have two saddles, two bridles, etc. so it doesn't take up much room... but enough to drive me nuts.
♥Reno♥Norman♥Booty♥

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users