• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RackinRudy

RackinRudy

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:23 AM

What is a Molly Mule like? I know they are rideable .... are they pretty easy to teach, how is their temperment generally. Never had one so asking.

#2 gabhainn

gabhainn

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:01 AM

I have had 2 saddle mules in my life and hope to have more, their temperments vary as widely as horses. I will say this if you can train a mule you can train a horse, but just because you can train a horse DOES NOT mean you can train a mule. they are different.
I like to compare horses to dogs, they generally want to please, well mules are like cats they know how to say no.
mules mature slower and can be used well into their 30's, they can bear more weight, and they are generally more aware of their surroundings in the words of my grandfather :" a derned ol horse will run you off into a ditch, a mule wont"
I hope this answers your questions if you have anymore please feel free to ask...Kevin

#3 3equines

3equines

Hee Haw

• Senior Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:22 AM

Molly is a female mule, a john is a male. Otherwise a mule is a mule is a mule. It is often said that mules MUST be trained and handled the way that a horse SHOULD be trained and handled.

A mule's disposition is much more dependant on their breeding (temperament of both the jack and the mare they came from) and their early training in life. That is why I want to raise mine from scratch (birth).

Mules are very EMOTIONAL, like their donkey ancestors. They are slow to trust, and they really won't do much for you without that trust, but if you take the time to earn their whole hearted trust and respect then you have an animal that will literally lay down its life to protect you.

On the flipside, if a mule is afraid of you or if it feels it must protect itself from you - watch out, you are in big trouble.

Mules are very personality based, I have heard of completely rank mules being big pussycats for the RIGHT person, and also heard of sweet, big-hearted mules turning completely rank when re-homed with the WRONG person.

If you choose to get a mule, be willing to start everything from scratch as far as training and handling go, even if it is broke to load, tie, and ride. Go through the foundation of training and handling one step at a time, so you and your mule learn to understand and trust eachother.
[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] love wears horseshoes

#4 TheRedHayflinger

TheRedHayflinger

Pony Slobber Rag

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • ohio

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

I rode a molly in college...a big belgian draft bred mule. The school got her and her brother (who was her hitch mate) my last quarter...I was taking both Team Driving and Colt Training at the time so I got to work with her quite a bit. They were "runaways" under harness, but that was quickly resolved...and then, my teacher being the rotten ornery guy that he was picked me and another short person to ride them in colt training (mules were 17.3 and 17.2hh....we were both 5'2..and you didn't ride unless you could get on from the ground...so we had to STRETCH..and make due without mane as they were roached...lol). He gave me the molly, as he knew from my Adv. Trail Riding class, I got along with mares very well.

She was a WONDERFUL molly. A bit buddy sour to her younger brother, a lot barn sour, but such a quick learner. She actually learned a lot quicker than her brother or the other mule we had in colt training. Very intelligent animal. She was also more prone to attack "small" animals...and that might have just been her own personality. She picked a squirrel climbing off a tree once and flung it against another tree, she seen a black rat snake in the colt training barn and pretty much squished it to a big black stain (I didn't even see the snake and was working on her sudden rearing she was doing...lol), she was constantly trying to get to teachers dogs (well behaved animals sitting in backs of pickups or next to their owners). I've heard that the attacking dogs thing is a "mule thing", but none of the other mules in the barn would do this (there were 6 at the time)..they'd kick out at a dog if it got to close, or chase them if there was an unruly dog in the field or something..but they'd never seek out to attack and want to kill a dog that was 10 feet away and just sitting there.
Last time I was up at the college a couple of years ago (I sent a gelding up there for the colt training class), they were using both her and her brother in team driving as well as beginner riding classes. They said the molly was just introduced to beg. riding and the john had been in beg. riding since the quarter after I was done...that was a 5 year span there.

As far as age goes...we had one mule there that was in his late 40s that was still being used for the trail classes, packing and campus park patrol! His name was Bob and he belonged to one of the teachers--little gaited mule. I THINK he hit his 50s by the time he died...and he worked right up until the last two years of his life.

#5 RackinRudy

RackinRudy

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Interesting information .... and I actually had no idea a mule was a horse x donkey. they sound like they would be a great addition to a herd!

#6 TheRedHayflinger

TheRedHayflinger

Pony Slobber Rag

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • ohio

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

actually, a mule is a donkey jack crossed with a mare. A hinny is just the opposite--the male is the horse and the female is the donkey. I think Hinny's tend to be smaller on average than mules. They also usually have smaller ears and a more "horsey" face. The ones I worked with still had a distinctive voice...but on occasion would neigh like a horse. Tails also seemed to be thicker than a mule and their legs and feet tend to be more horselike, whereas mules are more donkey like (in my opinion)

#7 Kara

Kara

PONIES!

• Senior Members
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

My mini mule is a punk... She is so full of herself. She'll run behind me and if I turn around she'll stop. Turn around and start bucking. If I'm not playing attention to her, she'll back her butt up to me and makes sure she gets to be scratched.

She's the only one I've had but If she was a full size one of the coolest equine to work with.
I love my ponies!!!

#8 Randymanme

Randymanme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule

A mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse.[1] Horses and donkeys are different species, with different numbers of chromosomes. Of the two F1 hybrids between these two species, a mule is easier to obtain than a hinny (the offspring of a male horse and a female donkey). While there is no known instance of a male mule siring offspring, female mules have on very rare occasion given birth to viable offspring. The size of a mule and work to which it is put depends largely on the breeding of the mule's dam. Mules can be lightweight, medium weight, or even, when produced from draught horse mares, of moderately heavy weight.[2]

It has been claimed that mules are "more patient, sure-footed, hardy and long-lived than horses, and they are considered less obstinate, faster, and more intelligent than donkeys."[3]

A female mule that has estrus cycles and thus, in theory, could carry a fetus, is called a "molly" or "Molly mule," though the term is sometimes used to refer to female mules in general. Pregnancy is rare, but can occasionally occur naturally as well as through embryo transfer. One of several terms for a gelded mule is a "John mule."

#9 EZgaiter

EZgaiter

Proud Mom of an American Soldier

• Donors
  • 1,351 posts
  • Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Mules are stronger and can be quicker than horses. If you make a mistake with a mule she may never trust you again. Never lose your temper with a mule, if your mule isn't doing what you ask it's most likely your fault and she doesn't trust you or doesn't understand what you're asking.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

#10 WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay

Baaaah!

• Moderators
  • 33,294 posts
  • Rochester, WA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Welcome RandyManme! :) Wow - another old thread revived....

#11 EZgaiter

EZgaiter

Proud Mom of an American Soldier

• Donors
  • 1,351 posts
  • Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Oh yeah, mules are more sure-footed than horses.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

#12 Equine_Woman

Equine_Woman

Mustang Crazy

• Senior Members
  • 9,738 posts
  • Texas

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Where is everyone coming up with these super old posts!! lol. (and on that note I LOVE mules. In fact Sonora was almost a mule. . some days I wish she was! But she is soooo pretty.. . . )

HERD2014.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users