7 replies to this topic

#1 Sundays Man

Sundays Man

MAKARIOS

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • Temple, Georgia

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

I hope this thread is in the right section.

I've got the spray tank ready, I've got the Pasture Pro and the mixture concentration I should use but I still have concerns as to how safe it is. I know not to spray where any rain run off will get in ponds and lakes and I know it "says" it's safe to keep horses on the pasture after you have sprayed with no waiting period, but I just don't feel comfortable totally. I mean if I have to wear rubber gloves, long sleeve shirt, goggles and a mask if it's windy, how can it be safe for the herd? :headscratch: I've got to do something, the weeds are taking over. I mow almost monthly and that helps, but doesn't get rid of the problem.

Has anyone ever used this product for weed control in their pasture and if so how did you use it and how did it work? Oh and how is the herd; still alive?; no 5 legged colts or anything?

Edited by Sundays Man, 27 May 2010 - 12:55 PM.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
Thomas Jefferson

#2 WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay

Baaaah!

• Moderators
  • 33,389 posts
  • Rochester, WA

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

I'd feel the same way... I feel that way about flea dip... if I can't get it on me... then why am I putting it on my animals?

If it were me, I'd probably spray and take them off the pasture for a couple weeks, or until there's been a long soaking rain.

#3 Sundays Man

Sundays Man

MAKARIOS

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • Temple, Georgia

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

Exactly! Guess it's better to err on the side of caution. I can move them over to our smaller pasture for a bit I guess. It's a bit of a hassle cause I have to move them daily and it's like going to Disney Land for them. I have a stampede coming to the gate and they all want to be the first to cross over. Knuckleheads. I guess it's just the change of scenery that gets them all worked up. Thanks WB. I'll just keep 'em off of it for a bit. Then I can go to the small pasture and take care of it. :)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
Thomas Jefferson

#4 Sundays Man

Sundays Man

MAKARIOS

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • Temple, Georgia

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

By the way WB. I was just reading the brochure on this stuff again and it says that if you have live stock that has eaten on a treated pasture, you should wait 7 days before letting them get on any clover and some other things. The reason is because their urine will contain enough of the junk to kill the plants. Unbelieveable, that sounds safe for them doesn't it?!
Thomas Jefferson

#5 natisha

natisha

I love my eaglets!

• Senior Members
  • 14,084 posts
  • Palmyra, Wisconsin

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

I keep them off too but I usually kill the weeds in spring before the horses are even out on pasture. I imagine you have more grass for a longer period of time than we do here.
I have 2 pastures with a funky, hard to kill ground weed. Last year I used Roundup & killed everything, then reseeded. Grass came in nicely, so did the funky weed in spots.
Pasture management is one of the most irritating aspects of horse care. Too many horses= you get weeds, too few= you get weeds.
I use a pasture management company, they aerate & top seed which helps a lot too.
I have no enemies but I am often intensely disliked by my friends

#6 WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay

Baaaah!

• Moderators
  • 33,389 posts
  • Rochester, WA

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Well, it does sound like they fully intend you to graze animals on it... but I say do what your comfort zone says is right...

#7 Sundays Man

Sundays Man

MAKARIOS

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • Temple, Georgia

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

I keep them off too but I usually kill the weeds in spring before the horses are even out on pasture. I imagine you have more grass for a longer period of time than we do here.
I have 2 pastures with a funky, hard to kill ground weed. Last year I used Roundup & killed everything, then reseeded. Grass came in nicely, so did the funky weed in spots.
Pasture management is one of the most irritating aspects of horse care. Too many horses= you get weeds, too few= you get weeds.
I use a pasture management company, they aerate & top seed which helps a lot too.

Thanks Natisha, I am all over the pasture mgt thing this year. I had the pastures limed last fall and I'm amazed at how tall the weeds are and how short the grass is. I'm gonna do the weed killing this spring (now) and do it once more in the late summer. I'm sure the weeds will be back next spring but I will also do the fertilizing thing this year and overseed in the fall with fescue. By the time I'm too old to talk, I should be an expert. 'course my dad always said that an "ex" is a "has been" and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. That would pretty much descibe me I guess.
Thomas Jefferson

#8 vicklynn

vicklynn

Banned

• Banned
  • 14,894 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

Ive been wondering about weed killer.
I seed yrly as Ive had both horses on the pasture and it needed it.
I use my seeder/aerator, and I tell ya, there is no better tool for seeding.
I also like to seed on moist ground.
Seeder puts the seed down, aerator puts a lot of it in the ground, and the moist ground gives the seed a bit of help.
So, is weed and feed good to use? Id wait for a good rain(or 2, were in MO,,,rain is plentiful spring and fall) before putting a horse on it, but not sure why it wouldnt do the trick?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users