22 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota Sunrise

Dakota Sunrise

Halfling

• Donors
  • 9,108 posts
  • The Shire

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

I don't think I could be much more confused. My algebra homework was easier than this stuff!:doh:

I have to have this done for tomorrow (I all ready got an extention:innocent:), and I just cannot wrap my head around it. :rant: I've read and reread the chapter but I just can figure out the answers to the questions. Bio is definately not my thing.:innocent:

I've only answered 5 of the questions so far. They are just so confusing to me (yes, I am a complete moron when it comes to science and algebra. I freely admit it.)

So if anyone can help me, please do! Here are the questions (there are a lot of them).

A.) Why do you think the cylce of some types of cells is faster than others? Explain your answer. (I have no answer because I don't/can't think.:innocent:)

B.)A parmecuim expels water when it is in fresh-water. What can you conclude about the concentration gradient in the organism's environment? (I can't conclude a thing.:innocent:)

)1. Describe how a cell's surface area-to vollume limits its size. (I *sort of* have an answer for this one, but I'm not sure if it's right.)

2.) Why is it necessary for a cell's chromosomes to be distrubted to its daughter cells in such a precise manner.

A: Chromosomes need to be distributed to the daughter cells so precisely because the daughter cells need the the genetic information in the chromosomes so they can carry out the same cellular processes and functions of the parent cells. (Does that make any sense?)

3.) Relate cells to each level of organization in a multicellular organism.

4.) In multicellular organisms, describe two cellular specializations that result from mitosis.

5. At one time, interphase ws referred to as the resting phase of the cell cycle. Why do you think this description is no longer used? (I hate the questions that ask what I think- I don't think, I have no opinion when it comes to this stuff. I am way too confuzeled for that.:crazy:)

6. Make a table sequencing the phases of the cell cycle. Mention one important event that occurs in each phase. (What kind of table????)

There's actually 7 more questions that I have to answer too, but I *think* I can figure those out by myself. Hope so anyway. If not, will somebody please just smack me over the head with whatever's handy (a stick or a fish, whichever you prefer) and put me out of my missery? :trout::whack::crazy::rant:

Edited by Dakota Sunrise, 01 February 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#2 luv2show

luv2show

♥ The Blonde One ♥

• Members
  • 2,964 posts
  • Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

:trout: There you go ;)

Do you have a textbook on Biology? You should be able to find anything in there that you're learning about.

For question 6 are you talking about Mitosis? (Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase, Interphase...). And she probably just wants a table (like a chart) to answer that question.

P.s. Why are you waiting until late Sunday night to do theses? :crazy:
LOL, just kidding! ( I'm guilty too! ;) )

Edited by luv2show, 01 February 2009 - 07:23 PM.

#3 Dakota Sunrise

Dakota Sunrise

Halfling

• Donors
  • 9,108 posts
  • The Shire

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

:trout: There you go ;)

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed. Next time hit me a little hard though, I can still feel the pain. :crazy:

Do you have a textbook on Biology? You should be able to find anything in there that you're learning about.

Yes, but I swear it is written in some other form of English.:innocent:

For question 6 are you talking about Mitosis?

Who knows?:rolleyes: Certainly not me.:doh: :innocent:

P.s. Why are you waiting until late Sunday night to do theses? :crazy:
LOL, just kidding! ( guilty! ;) )

I had a ton of homework to do over the weekend. I've gotten all my algebra done and my English paper written, and made a really good start on my History essay (which isn't due until Wednesday, thank goodness!) I tried to do the Bio earlier but just confused myself so I kept putting it off.:innocent:

#4 mare

mare

Very Senior Member

• Donors
  • 5,031 posts
  • Northern Wyoming

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

Whew. I think "B." has to do with the the lower density of fresh water when compared to the density of the fluid within the paramecium. Anyway, a paramecium concentration gradient has to equal that of its environment. The environment dictates the cg of the organism.

The others, I would have to search for. But, does "A." have something to do with the mitochondria? Boy, its been a long time since I've thought about stuff on a cellular level.

#5 zoel_222

zoel_222

No.

• Members
  • 6,093 posts
  • Sheridan, Oregon

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

:jawdrop:

:huh::confused::o:crazy:
"A woman who has horses can go anywhere she pleases"

#6 alittleoffkey

alittleoffkey

The Roaming Gnome

• Senior Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • Northern GA

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

I'll help... give me a minute to remember though (some of the answers take a bit of explaining). Biology is a regurgitation class - NOT an application class, you're making this harder than it is, I promise. :)
"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." - A. A. Milne.

#7 FatSpottedAppy

FatSpottedAppy

Prodigy vvv

• Members
  • 6,366 posts
  • Potter County, PA

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

It should all be in your textbook, just clear your mind and get a good focus and all the words should start making sense.. haha! Those darn bio books can be worded verryy trickily. I took bio last year and I can't remember anything or else I'd help. :(

Posted Image

#8 alittleoffkey

alittleoffkey

The Roaming Gnome

• Senior Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • Northern GA

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

First off, take these questions ONE at a time! Looking at them all and thinking "Oh God, I'll never get this" isn't going to help. ;) Now, I haven't touched Bio in a year or so... but I'll be as helpful as I can be. :cowboy:

A. Look up "cell cycles" in your book. It will tell you, verbatum, what your teacher wants you to say. :) The sentence will probably say something like "Cell cycles vary in length for several reasons." ...then will list them.

B. Look up paramecium in your book, then find the words "concentration gradient"... it'll tell you what your teacher wants you to say. If I remember correctly, a paramecium wants everything to be the same inside and out. We learned this with a special type of balloon-thing. If it were taking fresh water in, then the inside would be too concentrated, since it's expelling water, then the concentration (of whatever, usually salt) must be higher in the fresh water. I think.

1. What did you put?

(*skipping 2... I never quite got that section :D*).

3. Look up multicellular organism. I think this is where you would talk about the cells working individually, then together as a tissue, then the tissues working together as organs... and the organs working together for the whole. :) (I think).

4. Has to do with that section I never quite understood. :doh: Do look up mitosis in your book, it will probably have the two specializations listed next to one another, or at least in adjoining paragraphs. :)

5. Look up interphase in your book. I learned that interphase was the "resting cycle"... so I have no clue - but there will be a sentence in your book that will say "Interphase was once referred to as the "resting phase" of the cell cycle. However, this is not longer considered correct because _______."

6. There is a chart, somewhere in this chapter, with the cell phases drawn in it. It will probably look something like this, but your teacher will probably want the one from the book. :)

I guess I wasn't that much help... but seriously stop worrying about all the questions and just get one done at a time. :) It'll make things go much more smoothly. They're probably in relatively the same order that they're in, in the book as well (just to help you look harder). Don't forget to use the index to find those keywords in your chapter. It helps a lot.

#9 Horserider

Horserider

• Donors
  • 2,600 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

A.) Why do you think the cylce of some types of cells is faster than others? Explain your answer. (I have no answer because I don't/can't think.)
I'm not really sure what they want here. Maybe because some cells don't have as many chromosomes to copy.

B.)A parmecuim expels water when it is in fresh-water. What can you conclude about the concentration gradient in the organism's environment? (I can't conclude a thing.)
Headache

)1. Describe how a cell's surface area-to vollume limits its size. (I *sort of* have an answer for this one, but I'm not sure if it's right.)

2.) Why is it necessary for a cell's chromosomes to be distrubted to its daughter cells in such a precise manner.
Um...so the the new cells would be exactly like the original cell and the chromosomes don't get mixed up. (i'm so scientific)

3.) Relate cells to each level of organization in a multicellular organism.

4.) In multicellular organisms, describe two cellular specializations that result from mitosis.
What does that mean? Like muscle and nerve cells?

5. At one time, interphase ws referred to as the resting phase of the cell cycle. Why do you think this description is no longer used? (I hate the questions that ask what I think- I don't think, I have no opinion when it comes to this stuff. I am way too confuzeled for that.)
Because the cell is copying the chromosomes so it's not really resting. (i think)

6. Make a table sequencing the phases of the cell cycle. Mention one important event that occurs in each phase. (What kind of table????)
I think they just mean a table with columns and rows.

I haven't done any of this stuff since 9th grade Bio which was last year and I don't even know the answer to have those questions.
Horserider = Friesian lover, bookworm, writer, college student, and sadly horseless

#10 WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay

Baaaah!

• Moderators
  • 33,576 posts
  • Rochester, WA

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

Why do I feel like we are ALL going back to high school along with Dakota :)

#11 Dakota Sunrise

Dakota Sunrise

Halfling

• Donors
  • 9,108 posts
  • The Shire

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Somebody please tell me if this answers makes any sense.

Q:
Why is it necessary for a cell's chromosomes to be distrubted to its daughter cells in such a precise manner.

A: Chromosomes need to be distributed to the daughter cells so precisely because the daughter cells need the the genetic information in the chromosomes so they can carry out the same cellular processes and functions of the parent cells.

Edited by Dakota Sunrise, 01 February 2009 - 09:29 PM.

#12 Dakota Sunrise

Dakota Sunrise

Halfling

• Donors
  • 9,108 posts
  • The Shire

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

Why do I feel like we are ALL going back to high school along with Dakota :)

Probably because Dakota (meaning me, not my horse:p) is an idiot and can't do her homework by herself.:rolleyes:

#13 WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay

Baaaah!

• Moderators
  • 33,576 posts
  • Rochester, WA

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

That's fine... they're tough questions! I think ALOK is probably spot on that if you search through the book, you'll find, in not very hidden language, the answers the teacher is looking for.

#14 Dakota Sunrise

Dakota Sunrise

Halfling

• Donors
  • 9,108 posts
  • The Shire

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

I think ALOK is probably spot on that if you search through the book, you'll find, in not very hidden language, the answers the teacher is looking for.

She is probably right, and I'm heading upstairs dirrectly to crash on my bedroom floor and try to get this done so my teacher doesn't yell at me.:innocent: If I can't figure it out (and I'm betting I can't, I've been all through this book and I still don't get it. It could be written in Chinese and it still wouldn't be anymore confusing then it is right now.:doh:), I guess my only other option is to collapse at my teacher's feet, beg him not to yell at me, and tell him I really tried but am just an idiot and have no idea how to answer those questions. :innocent: I wonder what he'd say?

#15 WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay

Baaaah!

• Moderators
  • 33,576 posts
  • Rochester, WA

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

Don't make him convince you you're not an idiot, that's a hard thing to throw at a teacher on a first 'beg'. I think the fact that you're new and still finding your way in school will be sufficient, ask him to help you. :)

#16 JackieB

JackieB

Very Senior Member

• Senior Members
  • 10,183 posts
  • Michigan

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

WB is absolutely right. Try as hard as you can to answer the problems yourself. But for the ones you just can't get, seek help from your teacher, promise to work really hard, and just keep trying. He'll notice the effort.

And don't put yourself down!!!! It's not necessary. You're plenty smart enough. Just keep trying. Think of your homework problems as those posts you were so good at pulling out of the ground last year. Remember how you had your system down to exactly how many times you had to pull one way, then the other, before it came loose and you could lift out the post? Well, homework just requires that same resolve to keep trying until you get it figured out.

#17 doc_western

doc_western

Crazy Cheesehead

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • Crookston, MN

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

i can help w/ #5!!!
The cell does most of it's growth during that phase, so it's not actually resting. ;) also, (i believe) it's copying chromasomes/DNA, and the organelles duplicate. i think.

I'll be a story in your head, but that's ok, because we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, yeah?

-Doctor Who

#18 alittleoffkey

alittleoffkey

The Roaming Gnome

• Senior Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • Northern GA

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

How'd it go today?

#19 Dakota Sunrise

Dakota Sunrise

Halfling

• Donors
  • 9,108 posts
  • The Shire

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the help, everyone. I was able to answer a few more questions last night.

How'd it go today?

We-elllllll.....:innocent: I did hand in my homework, and had answers for all but two (which means I had answered 20 some). I got help from one of the girls that I sit with at lunch time. She is in honors bio, so she *sort of* understands this stuff. She read the question, flipped through the book, and then told me what to write. Sometime the answers we came up with were lame, sometimes decent, and sometimes just very convinving b.s., but they said as long as he sees you tried you still get points, even if the answer is wrong.:p
Biology class today was an absolute joke and a complete waste of time and resources.:rolleyes: We did a lab experiement involving iodine, a potato cut into cubes, and a 3 page paper that we were supposed to answer/fill in. It did not go overly well.:innocent: My team (well, the teams were supposed to be groups of 4, but 7 of us ended up working together) was incompetent- 3 of them just goofed off and played with the cutting knife, one of them was sick and acting very bitchy because she didn't want to be there, another one was sleeping on her desk, and the last one was hacking our potato to pieces.:rolleyes: I had no clue what was going on because I've never done a lab thingy before and the questions meant very little to me (confusing stuff, I hate bio:mad:) so I finally got them to help me answer a few of them (we all had the same paper to fill in) and then we passed it around and everyone copied off of it. Which means we all have the exact same wrong answers written down (assuming they are wrong, and I'm betting they are.) I wonder if the teacher will notice?:innocent:

#20 Horseaholic

Horseaholic

• Senior Members
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

oh biology.. :puke:
:innocent:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users